Thursday, September 4, 2008

1st day of (1st grade) class: 1st impressions

Well, today was my first day of class, for 1st graders. It was actually more of an initial getting-to-know you session (Hello, I'm _____. How are you? What's your name?), plus a review of numbers and colors. (Classes really start up next week.)

Anyway, it was pretty funny. I knew going in that, obviously, a first grade class would be somewhat different than the university-level classes I've been teaching for the last 10 years (duh!), but still it was something of an eye-opener. Let's just call the atmosphere, at least for one of the classes, was, er, lively.

Of course, the students don't really speak or understand that much English at this point, so any of my requests for them to "please sit down" or to "please be quiet now" weren't understood, and so weren't done!

İpek to the rescue! İpek is Turkish, and she'll also be teaching these same 1st graders. It turns out that Turkish teachers have been assigned to come into expats' classes for the first day, just to help out and offer a bit of crowd control! Well, I have to say that she was a life-saver, who was able to (finally) somehow encourage (most) of the students to sit back down and be relatively quiet.

But for the 10 minutes before she arrived, I had an interesting experience: I wrote my name up on the board (a chalk board, mind you, none of that fancy white board stuff) and introduced myself in the simplest way possible. Almost immediately about half the class jumped to their feet and proceeded to run up to the board and write out their first names, too. You can't fault their enthusiasm, that's for sure.

Still, it was a relief to have İpek come to remind students what's expected of them in school (some were here at ISTEK last year, in kindergarten, while a number of others are new to the school). And the two of us had fun reviewing the numbers from 1-10 and various colors—I think I've just about got all those mastered, no problem! :-)

Apologies to any of you who aren't teachers or not specifically interested in what goes on in a Turkish elementary school, but hopefully some of you are. Looking forward to next week, with surely some more eye-openers.

...and yes, there is a gumball/candy machine in one of the hallways at school!

2 comments:

Mary B. said...

No apologies accepted for this post. It is wonderful! How many of us in the U.S. and reading this blog have fantasized about working overseas, but, like me, will probably never have the opportunity? At least we can experience our dream second hand on "Innocents." Great description, by the way; very evocative. I had noticed in an earlier photo that there was no whiteboard. Chalk freaks me out just thinking about it.

Andrea J. Carman said...

Hey, I just found your blog and am happy I did because I have just been offered a teaching post in Istanbul which I'm seriously considering. I will be interested in hearing about your experiences since I won't be going until next Aug/Sept once my teaching contract here in Mexico is finished. Looking forward to more info on food, daily like in the City and dispelling the whole rumour that women are ceaslessly harrassed. I'm a brunette of a certain age so don't expect to be bothered much. Ha!